The Black Market.

Is this post helpful in calming down your anger towards the tf2 economy?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is this post helpful in calming down your anger towards the tf2 economy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, But maybe it lacks some minor details

So, it's about time when we had a topic for Mourning and Crying about prices of keys and the economy, also discussing new items which are added in the game almost frequently.! This topic will help fulfill that need of ours to tell our feeling about the new items and stuff added to the game and their prices and trade advices! :)

THIS TOPIC IS OPEN TO ALL, SO DON'T BE SHY, tell everyone how you feel about the team fortress 2 economy current stage and future or past stage etc..

I hope we have a happy debate on such issues and please please please Behave yourself regarding this topic, i know what you all feel about the economy it is advised that you keep those happy words inside you ;P

The issue is that people claim that it's due to inflation of metal, and not simply keys rising in price. Yes, there is a metal inflation. But if it was based on metal inflation, the price of craft hats would have increased in the same ratio as keys. No, the only thing that actually went up in price was keys themselves. It was market manipulation executed by a group of people who wanted to make money. And they did.

The issue is that people claim that it's due to inflation of metal, and not simply keys rising in price. Yes, there is a metal inflation. But if it was based on metal inflation, the price of craft hats would have increased in the same ratio as keys. No, the only thing that actually went up in price was keys themselves. It was market manipulation executed by a group of people who wanted to make money. And they did.

i agree  i mean if it just was that keys were rising the price of items based on keys would be affected as well which were not i.e. Bill's Hat

Yeah, there's some seriously sketchy business going down on some trade servers. I'm just surprised that the "Black Market" is apparently the only cleanly-operated one.

It's just the vicious cycle of TF2 Outpost.

Key Price = X

People on TF2Outpost sell for X, X+0.11.

All keys selling for X are bought up because keys are in high demand.

X = X + 0.11 

Repeat.

I say that Halloween 2012 is what screwed this up the most. The key price was stable at 2.66 (after rising from 2.33) - then people unboxed like mad, hoping for rare Unusual effects. Then the aforementioned cycle occured ad nauseum.

(Nota bene: "Craft hats" being hats utilized for crafting, instead of using 3 refined)

On the subject of inflation:

[Item]: [December 2011 price] -> [June 2013 price] (December 2011 prices are an estimate)

Ex: Key: 2.33 ref -> 5.33-5.55 ref (dafuq)

Name tags: 1 ref -> 2-2.11 ref

Gold paint: 1 ref -> 2.33-2.66 ref

Craft hats: 1 ref -> 1.33 ref*

Gift wrap: 2 ref -> 1 key

Black paint: 4-5 ref -> 2.2-2.6 keys

White paint: 4-5 ref -> 2.2-2.4 keys

* Craft hats have not increased to 1.44 because there is no reason to merely save 1 scrap. Even if they DID increase, anything more than 1.44 + 1 weapon would be impossible. (This is also why Familiar Fezzes cannot go above 4 Refined)

However... one stands out.

TS paint: 3 ref -> 1.2 keys

This is from when keys were more than 2.33, probably around 2.66. (I don't remember December 2011 TS paint price, so this will do.) 1.2*2.66=3.192, meaning that TS has always been approx. 1.2 keys.

Yes, that's right. This item has (mostly) increased at the same ratio. Let's look at others...

Name tags: 1 ref -> 2-2.11 ref

1/2.33 = .429

2.055/5.44 = .377

Gold paint: 1 ref -> 2.33-2.66 ref

1/2.33 = .429

2.5/5.44 = .460 

Gift Wrap: 2 ref -> 1 key

2/2.33 = 0.86

If you tell me to do the other division, I will sodomize you with my Disciplinary Action.

While the numbers aren't EXACT, a lot of items besides craft hats have increased at rates similar to that of keys. Craft hats, as I said, are a bad example - they have a logical ceiling of 1.5 refined. Paints, tags, and other tools do not.

tl;dr:

Craft hats don't help your case

Some items have increased at similar rates as keys

FUCK YOU, OUTPOST

Almost every hat valued below 2.5 ref didn't change in value. That also includes a hell of a lot of stranges, some of which only decline in price (even though the cost of making them doubled). As for items like Gift Wrap and Paint, those items were never consistently priced; they'd always fluctuate at a +/- .33-.66 ref. Their price was purely dependent on the demand at the time. You'd be surprised how must influence a painted loadout on /r/tf2 can have. To say that the change is based on the change of key prices is inaccurate.

And, I mean, if you want me to really go out of my way to prove this was manipulation, look at how often buds fluctuate. It's common knowledge now how the owner of outpost would lower and raise the price of buds for their own benefit, and it's a trend that continued with the arrival of backpack.tf, only now it's based on groups of traders instead of individuals. You'll find that quite a lot of the people pushing to change the price of buds now are owners of trade servers (not gonna start naming them, as that'll just lead to slander), people who have the keys to buy them when they drop.

However, manipulating the price of buds only gets around, what? A 25% profit? But doubling the price of keys, something everyone relied on as a commodity, gave a 100% turn. Cashing out left you with double the metal, something that was still being sold for around $.70-1.00 at the time. The metal that wasn't sold was converted back into keys.

*removes tinfoil hat*

Lol Magnum, Well this is turning into a nice little debate , What do u guys think of the new Items?? as in the robo hats and after

Some robo hats are great, some are buttugly. That's all I can say.

To me the robo update was a disappointment i liked that its was all community made but it did not help the economy i agree with ham that we need more new weps + we need like a slot machine to get rid of ref rec and scrap metal