The Black Market.
1990's Television

Part one is over

Wow...

That's all I keep saying to myself to myself right now. Wow. It has already been one year since I found this community.

It's been a wild ride in that one year. Many things have changed, for better or for worse.

When I found this server a year ago, I almost immediately realized that this was a place where I could hang out,

A place I could just chill without having to worry about people spamming chat or incessant indecent conversations,

and I instantly fell in love with the motif of the map: A dark seedy alleyway. And of course there were the people.

These people quickly became good friends of mine. People I could talk to for hours, tell stories, and trust with borrowing and letting me borrow their items with no thought of them stealing them. Then there were our admins:

OfficerSweetboy, A sarcastic prick at times, but he has his moments of genuine legitimacy as a human being.

Though he is sort of annoying at times. A good person overall.

Nixa, A really cool guy, though everyone thought he was a girl as he never used his mic and there was a running gag about his "Tits". Hell, It's built into the map. He took his position as a "Slumlord" (The server's take on admins) reasonably

seriously, and even after seemingly all the other Slumlords had left, he made it a point to visit the server at least

sub-regularly.

Siren, Siren... Siren.

Siren was a Grade A bitch 90% of the time and seemingly hated me. I never knew whether I didn't like her, loved her or deeply respected her until more recently. She was, to put it positively, a "Go-Getter". If she wanted something done, she'd make sure it got done. Or she would militantly bitch until it happened. Even the other slumlords didn't like her sometimes, but I can say now that I highly respect her attitude. Even if it may have sucked most of the time.

Resin, He basically built the map himself, and he pays the bills. For that I respect him, though at times... Most times, he's super lazy. But hey, everyone's got their quirks right?

Other people I can't remember, and Night, they were there every so often, lurked around without talking much, then would just sorta disappear for a week or so. That's about it.

As for the community of that time, an assortment of wierdos, crackheads, squeakers, noobs, douchebags, masochists, and all around badasses (Like myself). You may be saying: "But 90's, that sounds terrible!" Well, yea, it may... But uhhh... We made it work dammit, and we had alot of fun. One of my earliest memories on the server was sitting there, server's 80% empty, when some 12 year old kid named badger joins the server. "Anybody wanna unbox?" He asks.

*Me being the scrub I am at this point* says "Yea, if you'll give me some keys (huehuehue)" "OKAY!" He says,

"Let me get you some." We opened probably 20 crates each over the course of 3 days. It was a ton of fun.

And of course there were and are a ton of people I can never forget. (You know who you are)

And that, dear friends,what I am about to say is so painful yet needed, like tearing a bandage from your arm after the wound has healed. I, fairly soon after arriving in the black market, realized that I could do quite a bit of good for this community if given the chance. It was a long, hard fought battle to become one of the first janitors. For a long time, I was on the server probably 13-17 hours a day. Hanging out, making friends, attracting people to the server.

And in those times it was bustling, we had a good return rate, people were telling their friends about us.

I did a great job of creating publicity for the server and keeping it relatively under control with almost no admin help.

Then I, yes even I had to take a break. Six weeks went by, and I didn't even launch TF2. And when I finally did, I returned to a hellscape. A brand new group of people, most of which had terrible personalities. I either had to quit,

or come back. I. CAME. BACK. And when I did, it was april and I finally got my chance to become a janitor. Something that siren said she wanted me to do over 4 months prior in December. And I was damn ready, and I did a damn good job. It's November now. A long way away from when I stumbled upon this place in August of 2012. And I've been hard at work in my janitor position for nearly seven months. But at some point, you've got to stop walking into the same wall over and over and over. There have been a lot of issues that have come up on the server. Many of you know of them all too well. But If I keep walking headfirst into this wall, I'm going to break my neck. So before I do.. Before it kills me,

I have to do something extraordinarily difficult:

Effective immediately, I resign from my position as a Janitor on the Black market Trade alley.

This is not something I want to do. But it is something that is necessary for me to do.

Don't think this means you won't see me again friends, that is far from the case.

I'll still be around all day, telling stories, demanding hats, having fun.

This server and this community has changed my life and I can never forget you guys.

Please don't forget me.

Part 2 begins

Sorry to see you go man, and thanks for all the time you put in. Being a Janitor around here is no easy task, especially if you take it seriously. Best of luck out there.

On a personal note, I wish you'd have respected me for more than the two reasons you provided. It seems that creating a map and paying a monthly fee are the only two reasons to acknowledge my existence nowadays. (RC4 coming soon lolololololol)

Sorry to see you go man, and thanks for all the time you put in. Being a Janitor around here is no easy task, especially if you take it seriously. Best of luck out there.

On a personal note, I wish you'd have respected me for more than the two reasons you provided. It seems that creating a map and paying a monthly fee are the only two reasons to acknowledge my existence nowadays. (RC4 coming soon lolololololol)

I'll let other things go, but honestly...

There's not much else to respect you for. All you do is sit around telling dick jokes, playing DOTA 2 and drinking.

Any time I tried to do anything for the server you told me not to worry about it, then you immediately disregarded it.

Maybe if you gave people tools instead of just sending more people to work out the problem, something would get fixed

until then, your system of management will stay just as broken as it seems to have always been.

Except in the past, you had more than one person who gave a shit about maintaining the TF2 community.

Hell, that's the same reason Minecraft and Terraria are dead already. Or is that too real for you to handle?

While I do respect you for building this community, you're doing a pretty shit job on upkeep.

Give people more room to move. Maybe then they won't walk out on you.

As for the rest of you: I didn't say these things to be mean or rude.

I said them because they are the truth, and they were opinions based on your personalities over a year ago.

If I'm not enough of a "Bro" for you, that isn't my problem. Get the sticks out of your asses and grow the fuck up.

If you can't take some criticism and be a man about it, eat a dick.

Thanks anyway though, it's been "fun". 

There's not much else to respect you for. All you do is sit around telling dick jokes, playing DOTA 2 and drinking.

Any time I tried to do anything for the server you told me not to worry about it, then you immediately disregarded it.

Maybe if you gave people tools instead of just sending more people to work out the problem, something would get fixed

until then, your system of management will stay just as broken as it seems to have always been.

Except in the past, you had more than one person who gave a shit about maintaining the TF2 community.

Hell, that's the same reason Minecraft and Terraria are dead already. Or is that too real for you to handle?

While I do respect you for building this community, you're doing a pretty shit job on upkeep.

As for the rest of you: I didn't say these things to be mean or rude.

I said them because they are the truth, and they were opinions based on your personalities over a year ago.

If I'm not enough of a "Bro" for you, that isn't my problem. Get the sticks out of your asses and grow the fuck up.

If you can't take some criticism and be a man about it, eat a dick.

Thanks anyway though, it's been "fun". 

I dont think you understand what kind of community we are, we don't focus solely on TF2, or any other game. We provide a service for people to enjoy, have fun and make friends(TF2,L4D2,Terraria,Minecraft,etc). When i took slumlord position, i did it out of enjoyment, never took it seriously because, well, its a game. i devoted my time in helping the community. i wasn't forced, nor was i getting payed.

The purpose of our community is to have fun, we play games that we enjoy and find new friends, expanding our community.

Clearly you haven't picked up on that in the last year, seen how busy you were begging for items or ripping off a poor kid or just focusing too hard about becoming liked.

We provide a tool that allow friends to play on the same server. We don't advertise our community nor make a business out of it because we don't give a flying fuck who likes or dislikes our servers/community. Reason why we aren't tending to your needs is because we are focusing on other things (Dota 2 Tournaments, RC4, Website, etc.) I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here, but throwing a hissy fit and misjudging people aren't going to help prove your point. (whatever point you may have).

On that note, you sir. can go fuck yourself. 

I dont think you understand what kind of community we are, we don't focus solely on TF2, or any other game. We provide a service for people to enjoy, have fun and make friends(TF2,L4D2,Terraria,Minecraft,etc). When i took slumlord position, i did it out of enjoyment, never took it seriously because, well, its a game. i devoted my time in helping the community. i wasn't forced, nor was i getting payed.

The purpose of our community is to have fun, we play games that we enjoy and find new friends, expanding our community.

Clearly you haven't picked up on that in the last year, seen how busy you were begging for items or ripping off a poor kid or just focusing too hard about becoming liked.

We provide a tool that allow friends to play on the same server. We don't advertise our community nor make a business out of it because we don't give a flying fuck who likes or dislikes our servers/community. Reason why we aren't tending to your needs is because we are focusing on other things (Dota 2 Tournaments, RC4, Website, etc.) I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here, but throwing a hissy fit and misjudging people aren't going to help prove your point. (whatever point you may have).

On that note, you sir. can go fuck yourself. 

well 90s I am sad you are leaving you position in the short time I was here I thought of you as the best admin this community had and I im glad your atleast still staying on the server. As for you sweetboy you  jackass I think the picture below show what I think of you and I hope you realize more people currently like 90s than anyone than any number of people will ever like you

Do I...

Do I know you?

I admittedly avoided interacting with you; you work entirely to hard on being liked. It's transparent and annoying.

I call a load of bullshit right here --- how dare you join our community, play on our servers for free mind you and then tell us we are doing nothing for you.  We pay for the server out of the admin pockets, we don't rely on donations for this.  We are not for profit meaning we will make the changes that we want first.  Minecraft and Terraria aren't dead -- they are under construction, we host those games because some of the slumlords enjoy playing them not because we need a flourish community to survive -- To say that people aren't given room to move, is a bunch of fucking bullshit, the problem is you have to prove yourself worthy enough to have room to move, to expand, to innovate, and create.  

Resin is much more than a map maker, I can say this out of fact because I know him better than you do.  Over the course of this summer we have worked on several large scale projects to make this community better, including making donation ranks automated, converting all the backend data of the games we host to be stored in databases so that we can make use of the data collected by the games we provide in order to give users their stats.  We've implemented a new forums setup, an updated member portal, several experimental game servers, the minecraft and terraria servers, both of which are still being updated, upkept, and maintained even though you claim otherwise.  Furthermore, we have started custom coding plugins for the various games we host, so in essence everything you stated about Resin being lazy is incorrect.

Also, Sweets is not a prick or annoying -- sorry you feel that way but again you never really hung out with any of the admins so you don't really understand any of our personalities.

Here is a few things you don't know about Resin, which I hope puts things into perspective for the readers of this forum.  A couple of months ago, 1990's made a few decisions that he shouldn't have, which resulted in a few unnamed admins requesting that we dismiss 1990s as a janitor, Resin stood up for him, Resin defended him and told them to give 1990s another chance.  Later that same day 90s did several other things that pissed off the same admins and a few others -- again they requested 1990s dismissal, and again Resin stood up for him, which is astounding since 1990s held Resin in such low regard.  1990s, you should feel ashamed of yourself for being such an asshole in the way you regard Resin -- he stood up for you when others (slumlords by the way) wanted you gone.  So here is my advice to you 1990s, you said your piece, you had your time as a janitor and now you are no more, Now is the time you slink back into the woodwork, stop bitching, and let it go.  If you had addressed the admins in a more respectful manner and not made this ridiculously inaccurate post regarding our activities, we would have considered some of your suggestions, you can have my word on that, but now that you took the time to spread lies and slander about my friends, I will no longer even consider backing your ideas regarding this community.

Advice to Ponder:

1.) Stop Bitching

2.) Go about your own business

3.) Let it go - anger will ruin your experience

4.) Grow up and understand that what is free, usually means you won't get everything you ask for

5.) Learn to respectfully ask for your ideas to be considered -- I have and always will be open to listen to and consider ideas that would positively influence our community -- I can not speak for how others have behaved in the past, but I can assure you that I do this -- ask our other janitors (Corporal, Hatrix, Ryuke, etc)

6.) Learn that your opinion is not always right

7.) Take a moment to consider that not everything we do for the community is seen by the community, a lot of our work involves maintaining databases, maintaining the server, ensuring everything is kept as up to date as possible (dependent upon our own development and upon the development of other open source programmers), and we too enjoy playing some games in our off time ( time spent away from our real jobs -- I for one maintain over 450+ electronic devices for the Government in addition to planning out the future of technology for our government)

8.) Learn to think before you speak, as speaking out rashly and without forethought usually results in people saying what they don't really mean

9.) Learn to enjoy life

10.) Most importantly learn that gaming should be fun, if it is not, then maybe its not for you.

If you have nothing positive to comment, please keep your comments to yourself rather than digging yourself a deeper hole -- that goes for any member of this community.

O boy.

Now I'm getting bashed? Where did this hatred come from, and why didn't you speak to me sooner if you felt this way? I'm certainly not a hard person to reach or communicate with, so you've left me confused. Guess I should defend myself. Don't be offended by the following, I just don't think you understand.

1.) Ok so dick jokes, dota, and drinking. The 3 D's. I'm going to chalk that up as an insult, although I don't know why it was fueled. You made little to no effort to join mumble and get to know any of us, so how well do you really know me?

2.) I don't help with the server? I don't understand yet again. Did I not rewrite the permissions for Janitors 2 times at your request? Did I not add plugins that you requested? Do I not restart the server when requested? I think this statement was out of sheer spontaneous anger, so I'm not going to count this as a true insult. I shouldn't have to explain myself in this regard to you anyway, being that you have no idea how a server functions.

3.) What Sweetbuns and Sinch said, only with less insults.

4.) Alright this last one really gets to me. You said and I quote:

This is the bane of my existence. This is what naivety breeds. You have zero idea what it's like to be in my position, and mean only to degrade me with this statement. Assumptions assumptions assumptions. Why even say this to me? Have I ever once been rude or mean to you? Have I not defended you? Why say this? Have you ever run a community before? Any idea what goes into it at a non-technical level? I was molded to fit this position after years of trial and error. It is not easy to please people. I work my ass off to keep my friends and community happy, on my own schedule. Calling anything I or my Slumlords do a "failure" shows that you never had the right mindset going into this. Trial and error.

Throwing myself into this.

Wasn't fond of 90's much. Truth.

Such a shame that he threw his entire history of being a faithful community member down the slumtown shitter. Sure, he helped the community grow. But if I know Resin as well as any of the admins here, comments made to attack a slumlord, especially the guy who runs the show, is a bad fucking idea. It's like a job. Put all your work into it for a while, decide to badmouth your boss and his affiliates, and your ass is kicked from here to Shanghai. Not only that, but, obviously, you would lose your job.

Go ahead, freedom of speech, drop your line, opinionated or not, we don't have to like or tolerate it at all.

So with all due respect, suck a dick. As a parting gift, I'll send someone to give you a Wonka Bar as thanks.

qui112.jpg